U.C.L. Academicals Football Club

(The Accies)

SOL Senior 3 Winners 1986-87 - 1st XI                                 SOL Intermediate 3 Winners 1987-88 - 2nd XI                              SOL Junior 4 Winners 1987-88 - 3rd XI                                SOL Junior Cup Winners 1987-88 - 3rd XI                                     SOL Junior 3 Winners 1988-89 - 3rd XI                                 SOL Minor D Winners 1988-89 - 4th XI                                   SOL Intermediate Cup Winners 1991-92 - 2nd XI                                      SOL Minor A Winners 1993-94 - 4th XI                                       SOL Mander Cup Winners 1993-94 - 4th XI                                   SOL Senior 2 Winners 1998-99 - 1st XI                                AFA Senior Cup Winners 1999-2000 - 1st XI                                    AFA Senior Cup Winners 2000-01 - 1st XI                                   SOL Premier Winners 2000-01 - 1st XI                                      SOL Veterans Cup Winners 2000-01 - Vets XI                                 SOL Junior 3 North Winners 2001-02 - 6th XI                                        AFA Junior Cup Winners 2002-03 - 3rd XI                                         AFC 3 North Winners 2002-03 - 4th XI                                  AFC Intermediate North Winners 2003-04 - 2nd XI                                                                    AFA Junior Cup Winners 2003-04 - 3rd XI                                   AFC 6 North Winners 2003-04 - 5th XI                        LOB Junior Cup Winners 2003-04 - 3rd XI                                 AFC 1 North Winners 2003-04 - 3rd XI                                   LOB Intermediate Cup Winners 2004-05                                             LOB Junior Cup Winners 2004-05                                           LOB Junior Cup Winners 2005-06                                        LOB Senior Cup Winners 2007-08                                         AFC Senior 3 North Winners 2007-08                              LOB Senior Cup Winners 2008-09 - 1st XI                               AFC 7 North Winners 2009-10 - 5th XI                              AFC 9 North Winners 2009-10 - 6th XI                               AFC Senior One Winners 2010-11 - 1st XI

    Other Sports Links:

UCL Mens          UCL Womens          UCL Alumni          Hockey          Rugby

Home Page

Training Tops

Results, Tables & Stats

Club Committee
UCL Students
Shenley Googlemap
Accies Ladies
Discipline Code
Club Rules

Accies International

Maps and Links

Joining the Accies

2007-08 Results - February

Click here to return to the 2007-08 results menu

Saturday 23rd February

Enfield Old Grammarians 1 Accies 3rds 0.

Accies 4ths 0 Albanian 3.

Accies 5ths 2 (Jonathan Taylor 2) Old Minchendenians 2.

Old Minchendenians 3 Accies 6ths 3.

5ths Report from Bob Woad

As has happened so many times this season this was another disappointing result for the fifths, this time against Old Minchendenians at Shenley.

The absence of a number of regular players didn’t help matters, especially Chris ‘what’s my priority’ Carters decision to take a unilateral mid-season break in sunnier climes. However, despite these absences this was a game the 5ths should have won easily. 

For the second week in succession Dave Sigerson began the match up front this time partnered by Jonathon Taylor, with Bob ‘one leg’ Woad again between the sticks. Simon Moss and Alan Dodd were rotated to the full back positions and Jules Court moved to centre half alongside the stalwart Dave ‘ever present except next week’ Swaby.

Playing with a light breeze at their backs the effects of the unfamiliar line up showed as the 5ths struggled to find their usual rhythm. Despite this Minchendenians were contained and as the first half wore on the fifths began to carve out chances. The score at half time was 2-0 to the Accies but it should have been 5-0 and the game should have been over. The 5ths two goals were both scored by Taylor. The first followed a long clearance by keeper Woad which sailed over the Minchendenian defence and allowed the lively Taylor to run on and coolly slot the ball past the advancing keeper. His second followed a through ball from Sigerson and was dispatched with equal aplomb.

Then came the three misses which were to ultimately cost the 5ths victory. Firstly Taylor repaid the compliment, drawing out the Minchendenian keeper and playing a good cross ball the unmarked Sigerson who, with only a defender on the line to beat, suffered a rush of blood from the head and side footed his shot wide. Then a fine Andy Williams corner was met six yards out by Sigerson who should have buried his header but instead sent it over the bar. Finally Taylor was put though again but failed to complete his hat-trick, this time shooting wide of the post.

After the interval conditions then conspired against the 5ths as the light breeze suddenly became stiff wind and the Accies found themselves pinned back and having serious problems getting the ball out of their own half. Minchendenians gained in confidence and threatened repeatedly down both flanks. For 25 minutes the Accies defence held out but was eventually breached. A defensive clearance to the left side of the field fell to the Minchendenian right winger who took full advantage of the wind and hammered a 25 yard shot into the top corner of the net.

The fifths hung on for another 10 to 15 minutes before the equaliser came. A Minchendenian corner from the left found an unmarked head and despite getting a hand to the ball keeper Woad couldn’t stop it crossing the line.

At the death one of the few Accies attacks in the second half saw Taylor find a yard of space but his shot again flew the wrong side of the post.

Saturday 16th February

Old Wilsonians 0 (Fabrice Bocquet) Accies 1sts 1 (Ian Roberts).

Accies 2nds 0 Old Edmontonians 1.

Egbertians 1 Accies 3rds 5 (Scott Atkinson 2, Phil Stewart 2, Andy Burt).

Accies 4ths 5 (Tom Lovell 2, Phil Wash, Andy Mackay, Dan Bennett) Old Parmiterians 1.

Accies 5ths 6 (Dave Sigerson 2, Joe Baggaley 2, Simon Moss, og) Leyton County Old Boys 1.

Mill Hill Village 3 Accies 6ths 1 (Subomi Fapohunda).

4ths Report from Ethu Crorie

The 4ths started this game knowing that defeat would leave them in trouble just outside the relegation zone whereas victory would draw them closer to mid-table mediocrity. Kid decided that the 3-4-1-2 tactic that he had been experimenting with on his mobile phone version of Football Manager could bring success in real life and announced this to the squad. Being a thoroughly versatile set of players the team started without having any real difficulty adapting. Apart from Rhys who decided that all that extra running up and down as a wingback rather than a full back was really a little bit excessive and decided to get injured instead.

As the first half progressed Kid should have conceded a penalty with a challenge that can only be described as being clumsy in a truly Titus Bramble fashion. The referee thankfully ignored the appeals of Parmiterians who were, in truth, doing themselves no favour with the referee thanks to their incessant complaining. However, it didn’t take long for their big powerful centre forward to trick his way past with Ethu with embarrassing ease and run a ball across the six yard box for his colleague to knock in unchallenged and unmarked at the far post.

The Accies started to work themselves back into the game. The attacking triumvirate of Phil Wash, Tom Lovell and Andy Mackay were causing problems and the rather pedestrian Parmiterians defence played a risky offside game. Two goals within as many minutes just before half-time broke Parmiterians. Both involved simple passing and good movement and Tom and Big Phil celebrated. Meanwhile, Andy M kept muttering that the second should have been his goal even though all the rest of us saw Tom’s touch on the through ball. 

Although the first half was pretty even the second half was not. The Accies defence and midfield put in the work and as a result coped easily with the Parmiterians attack which became more and more embittered as the game went on. They did have one shot which Pork Pie was going to catch but, realising that he had done nothing throughout the game, decided that a dive and flap round the post would make us all remember that he was at least on the pitch.

Three further goals for Tom L, Andy M and Dan Bennett were scored and the Accies could have got even more. We won’t dwell on the fact that for the last 15 minutes Parmiterians were down to 10 men after a midfielder went off with injury after they had used all of their subs.

Finally, did anybody else notice that their goalkeeper was a Danny McConnell lookalike? 

5ths Report from Bob Woad

Performance Barometer Reading: Pleasing

A good display from the fifths saw them trounce Leyton County Old Boys 6-1 at Shenley.

The Accies team that started the game was somewhat unusual given the lack of availability of recognised forward players. Sameer Patel and Jat Chohan were on holiday, Tom Porter was out with a pulled hamstring and Bob Woad was also suffering from a strained hamstring which precluded any outfield performance. The response of captains Swaby and Carter was to place striker Woad in goal, move central defender Dave Sigerson to lone front man, switch Carter himself from midfield to central defence, move regular right back Joe Quashie to right wing and play an unorthodox five man midfield. A stroke of tactical genius or a complete misunderstanding of the term 'squad rotation'? We may never know.

The first twenty minutes saw the 5ths contain Leyton and then move into the ascendancy. After some promising openings the fifths took the lead when Andy Penfold played a good ball to Sigerson who wound back his right leg and punted the ball into the net passed a prostrate Leyton keeper. Shortly afterwards Joe Baggaley netted a second with a fine strike from the edge of the area after a ball from Dave Swaby.

At this point it became all too easy. The fifths lost urgency and drive and allowed Leyton to come back into the game. Fortunately the half time whistle arrived before Leyton could fully capitalise on this period of mindless prating about and a few angry words from Chris Carter saw the team shaken out of their apathy.

The second half was a procession to the inevitable with more Accies success. First Sigerson slid in to guide the ball in at the near post from a Joe Baggeley cross. Then Baggaley himself (and not for the first time) took advantage of a gaping hole that opened before him and virtually ran the ball into the goal. The Leyton keeper himself got in on the act, putting the ball into his own net following a Sigerson header from a corner. Finally Simon Moss, who had come on to replace a somewhat subdued Pussycat Williams, headed home from an Alan Dodd cross.

Leyton periodically threatened and scored a conciliation goal after an angled shot between two Accies defenders found the bottom right corner of the net. The fifths should have had a penalty after Joe Baggaley was upended in the Leyton box but the referee dismissed the appeal on the grounds that they’d scored enough goals already.

Saturday 9th February

Old Meadonians 3 Accies 1sts 2 (Dave Jenkin, Rick Hirst).

Accies 2nds 7 (Kieron Jennings 3, Lloyd Vanson 3, Pete Chapman) Latymer Old Boys 1.

Old Parmiterians 1 Accies 3rds 2 (Gio Martelli 2).

Accies 4ths 1 (Chris Coates) Enfield Old Grammarians 4.

Egbertians 5 Accies 5ths 2 (Joe Baggaley, Sameer Patel).

Accies 6ths 3 (Jason Ingel 2, Subomi Fapohunda) Leyton County Old Boys 1.

1sts Match Report from Non League Paper

In the AFA Senior Cup UCL Academicals travelled to Old Meadonians and came out with all guns blazing. Within ten minutes Accies had scored twice, Dave Jenkin’s right wing cross evading everyone to sneak in at the far post, and Accies quickly extended their lead through Rick Hirst’s free kick. Accies continued to dominate, but Ian Roberts saw two chances go wide, Jenkin hit the post and Neil Gillard saw a header cleared off the line as Meads survived until half time only 2-0 down.

Meads turned around and quickly got back into the game, a through ball to Leon Smith seeing him upended in the penalty area, only to see a good advantage played by referee Steve Bodell and the ball fall to Ed Glover who tucked home. Quarter of an hour later Meads levelled the score as Smith broke through again. The game flowed end to end, but  Accies held firm with Fabrice Bocquet making several superb saves, until ten minutes to go when Smith broke through to power home. Accies continued to battle,  Jenkin crashing a shot against the bar, and in the last minute Dan Chantler saw his header from a corner slip wide as Meads held out for a 3-2 win.

Saturday 2nd February

Hale End Athletic 3 Accies 1sts 3 (Rick Hirst, Adam Stainsby, Dave Coates).

Old Kolsassians 1 Accies 2nds 1 (Andy Mackay).

Accies 3rds 3 (Mark Esiri 2, Dave Wilkinson) Egbertians 1.

Old Aloysians 1 Accies 4ths 3 (Tom Lovell, Gary Taylor, Alex Nekrasov).

Accies 5ths 2 (Peter Findlay, Joe Quashie) Queen Mary College Old Boys 0 (Bob Woad).

Accies 6ths 1 (Jean-Alex Imerzoukene) Bealonians 1.

5ths Match Report from Bob Woad

A solid if somewhat lacklustre display saw the fifths gain revenge on QMC Old Boys for an undeserved 3-2 defeat in the pre-Christmas away fixture. 

Bob Woad started in goal after the 11th, or closer the 12th, hour withdrawal of Bobby Butlin who had bruised his fingers after falling over on his way home from the pub the previous evening. Normally when you are blind drunk you can fall from the top of a car park and suffer no ill effects so Butlin's injury was clearly one of those freaks of nature that sometimes befall a sportsman at the height of his powers.

Kicking into the wind the fifths played a measured game with the regular centre back paring of Swaby and Sigerson coping well with the QMC forwards. In midfield and attack the fifths looked comfortable without creating any real chances. As the half wore on QMC began to look more dangerous and Woad had to dive sharply to his right to push away a low strike which was heading for the bottom corner through a crowd of players. Soon afterwards Woad was again in action, racing off his line to smother the ball at the feet of a QMC forward who had broken through the fifths defence.

The fifths eventually took the lead when Joe Quashie scored his first goal of the season, his own brave header settting up a tap in from close range, after a pleasing Williams/Baggerley combination on the left. QMC responded and Woad came out on top of a second one-on-one after narrowing the angle sufficiently for the QMC striker to put his shot past the far post. Then seconds before half time Tom Porter deflected QMC shot up and over Bob Woad who did brilliantly to leap backwards and push the goal-bound ball onto the bar. 

At half time Alan Aaronson replaced Woad in goal, the fifths defence solidified and he didn't have a shot to save in the entire second period. 

Going forwards the fifths created a few chances with Peter Findlay and Dave Sigerson going close with headers after good Pussycat Williams corners. The fifths grabbed a second when Findlay wriggled free amidst a group of QMC defenders and popped in a low shot which evaded the diving keeper and crept in off the upright.

Click here to return to the 2007-08 results menu